When was the last time when you spoke about something and everyone including your boss listened to you without disagreeing or interrupting in between? If you can’t remember at the moment it’s totally alright. Because we all tend to face this situation almost every day. We all like to be listened to and appreciated thereafter or at least seek for positive comments and gestures when we are done speaking. And for this to happen, we need to carry that strong positive vibe or cast an influence on everyone we work with. Here in this blog we will discuss about the simple yet effective ways to boost influence at work.
Being an influence or the ability to influence others is an art which I believe can be mastered. Great orators have it. So here are few steps to a great influence:
- Identify your Style: Study yourself, focus what is your dominant style-to convince, negotiate, logical argument, bridge, assert or influence. We all have different styles and some might have all thrust in them. Unveil them and understand if you are using them in the right places.
- Use your Style: Once you are done with the identifying part, learn to use or modify your inbuilt style of influence according to situation and people. For instance, if you are trying to put your point in front of your CEO, arguing with him/her or negotiating won’t help. Try to be logical here. Back up your point with facts and figures; try proving them rather pushing your point affront. Likewise, with a peer be negotiative.
- Identify your Weakness: There’s a possibility that you might have discovered your strengths (your style) but then are you using it on the wrong grounds? This will bend your ways. Learn where your magic works. If you are working on the same style for every different situation, this won’t help. Remember you need to have different weapons for different fights.
- Speak the Desired Amount: Most of us are aware of this that “Silence is Golden”. Here I don’t mean you to be mute but then speak how much is required. Unnecessary talks that are long than required will finally start irritating people. This will rather land you in bad influence.
- Fortify your Reputation: This is one thing which follows you everywhere. Guard it. Don’t try anything that might hamper your reputation. It took you years to earn this. Pay attention to what you speak, how you speak, the words you use, gestures, actions, everything. Anything repulsive from your end will turn off the entire positive influence that you might be casting over others.
- Try winning through Actions: Actions speaks louder than words. We all know this and it equally fits at work. While at work, it’s your work that does the speaking. If you are good enough-it shows. You need not sugar coat a thing. Rather than working hard over an argument to win, let your work do the talking. Trust me your magic of influence will surely work.
- Avoid Chronic Dissatisfaction: Now here, I don’t mean to be rude. It ok if you are helping any of your peers or juniors or even seniors to cope up with hard situations but then if they vow never ever to recover from the bad phase you might automatically be influenced by them negatively and hence emotions are contagious be it good or bad. Avoiding such situation is what I recommend.
There are employees that are good influence and then there are organizations which bring along a good influence among its people and help them grow mutually.